Sunday, April 24, 2011

Social Network Hiatus for Lent: What I've learned

After taking up the no social media logging in for lent agenda a day before lent started, I did a lot of soul searching. Before anyone says anything about the pics I was able to post, I can say I never once logged into facebook or twitter. Facebook has an email address and I simply emailed pics (yes, I was doing it because I found a way to beat the system).

So what have I learned? Well, you know me. I wouldn't be my bubbly self if I didn't come up with a morbid conclusion. In the end, me being off of facebook showed me that regardless of whether I'm here or not other people's lives continue on. I am but a small speck of dust amongst an immense rug that is this world. No one's life changed because of my absence nor did I expect for it to. Those who wanted to contact me did via telephone or email. Those that didn't contact me (though have my number) simply didn't want to. That's how it goes. My importance in my friends and families lives may be vast, but in the grand scheme of it all...I dunno man. Me personally I use facebook to talk to my friends, but mostly to comment on things belonging to  acquaintances. I noticed the span in time better without it. I had a lot of free time. Mostly to laze. Also to finish homework. But even then I just lazed.

A lot of strange things happened that I wanted to update about.Crazy things I saw, things people said, etc. And I could only tell those around me. But really, who wants to know whats on my mind 24/7? No one. Everyone just wants a soap box to talk on, to feel important, to not feel so insignificant. It's a digital venting station. There really is no reason for it...or for me to stay on it. So what's the point of me coming back?

Why does everything that one does in life HAVE to make sense? I came back because I could. I came back because I knew lent was only temporary. I came back because its nonsensical fun. However, I'm not going to live on facebook like I used to. My main transformation into a fb super checker was because that was the only place I could contact my then boyfriend and talk for hours. It seemed I was also looking to connect with my people who live 700 miles from me (in Atl shawty) as if they are right next door. I guess

For now, I'll continue to tweet about the strange thoughts that pass through my mind or the even stranger happenings of New York City, but I feel like the constant checking and chatting and liking.....that can end. What's the purpose.

Facebook isn't who we are, it's who we wish we were. with self portraits we took of ourselves again and again and again, because we didn't like the first shot and wanted our pics to be hot. The stupid trivia notes and posts we do to show what we like about this or that or this person or that person just stirring the pot of drama because our own pathetic attempts at life are so dull. Constant spying on friend's of friends or just plain friends and watching shit go down and then talking about it later (I know I've done it, "well on facebook she said..." anything that starts or ends with something similar should cause a sad realization about your social skills). I get that I'm coming off pretty fucking depressing, but I prayed during lent and meditated. Which brought me to the whole "meaning of life" thing.


What is the meaning of life? The meaning of life is to experience emotion and free-will. Then die. That's kinda it. Yeah, it sux. Anyways I really think it's one big cosmic joke. God is the original  comedian. Also, contrary to my beliefs, Jesus is not the original zombie (Lazarus or whatever was!). Dang, that really made me mad. Jesus being the first zombie would have been cool.
Okay, well, have a happy ritualistic holiday.

1 comment:

  1. "the meaning of life is to ezperience emotion and free will" nice. Its honest and simple and actually pretty inspirational to only spend yor life pursuing whats most important to you. I really liked your post!

    ReplyDelete